Feel Summer in full swing with this orzo salad with chicken and bacon. Orzo is a wonderful thing, such a versatile pasta that is used in so many different ways and with so many different ingredients. I always find it to be almost like ‘the forgotten pasta’, not used enough and massively underappreciated but, I am here to bring it back.
Trust me, once you make this recipe, it will become your new favourite go-to. Bursting with flavour and with all your favourite ingredients mixed into it. This one is not to be missed.
Ingredients for Orzo Salad with Chicken and Bacon
The ingredients for this recipe are all things you are guaranteed to have in your fridge or pantry. If not, they are easy to find in any corner supermarket. No excuses to make it now! The ingredients you will need are:
Orzo: Of course, it is the star of the show!
Chicken Stock: The trick is in the chicken stock for HUGE flavour! Make sure to add it in hot!
Avocado: Try and get an avocado that is as ripe as possible, this way the creaminess will work with the orzo perfectly
Bacon: Make sure to make it as crispy as possible for an extra savoury crunch!
Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes or baby plum tomatoes. Sprinkle them over the top and, freshly sliced, they add a delicious burst to the dish.
Chicken: Has to be pulled for this recipe, it works perfectly and is too good to miss out on.
Olive Oil: Could never go without and always makes the food taste that bit better!
Butter: For added indulgence and it makes the orzo so creamy and delicious.
Cayenne Pepper and Za’atar: A little spice and a herby delight to balance it all. Makes this recipe that bit more special and mouth-watering.
How to Cook Orzo
The main question on everyone’s mind and, one I used to wonder about myself. Cooking orzo could not be easier, making every recipe using it effortless to throw together. Unlike traditional pasta that is boiled in excess water, I like to cook orzo almost like rice. Using the right amount of water to keep its creaminess and allowing the orzo to soak it all up.
Adding the flavour depth when cooking orzo is crucial. To achieve delicious flavour and creaminess, the trick is to add a jelly stock cube, or regular stock if you have it! The stock adds a depth of flavour like no other and, the taste is so good. It really could not be simpler.
For the best bit, assembling all the ingredients. Mix the chicken, bacon, cayenne pepper, Za’atar and pumpkin seeds with the orzo to make sure all the bits are evenly spread out and running through it. Top with the avocado, sliced cherry tomatoes and serve.
Every mouthful is so delicious and bursting with flavour. This orzo salad with chicken and bacon can be enjoyed hot or cold and tastes equally as good. The perfect versatile meal and one you can rely on for busy mid-week nights. Your new favourite recipe in just 30 minutes.
Loved this recipe? You have to try these…
Orzo Salad with Chicken and Bacon
- 250 g Orzo
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 4 Smoked Bacon Rashers
- 1 Avocado, cut into chunks
- 250 g Cherry Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 20 g Pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp Za'atar
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Jelly Cube Chicken Stock
- 500 ml Water or Chicken Stock
- Preheat the oven to 180C (356F) fan. Line an oven tray and top the chicken breasts with 1 tsp olive oil and salt. Cook for 15-20 minutes until cooked. Cook bacon according to packet instructions.
- Place a shallow casserole pot over low heat and add in the 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add in the orzo and stir around. Add in the warm chicken stock or disolve the chicken stock cube in hot water and pour over the orzo. Stir and cover for 20 minutes, stirring ocassionally.
- Once the orzo is cooked, add the butter, cayenne pepper, pumpkin seeds and za'atar. Stir until combined.
- Pull the cooked chicken apart using two forks and chop up the crispy bacon. Add to the casserole and stir.
- Top with the sliced cherry tomatoes, avocado and serve.